Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tuesday November 8, John 15.26 - 16.4

John 15.26 - 16.4


26”When the Advocate comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who comes from the Father, he will testify on my behalf. 27You also are to testify because you have been with me from the beginning.

16”I have said these things to you to keep you from stumbling. 2They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, an hour is coming when those who kill you will think that by doing so they are offering worship to God. 3And they will do this because they have not known the Father or me. 4But I have said these things to you so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you about them. “I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you.

Thoughts:  As Jesus is preparing to leave this world he shares sobering words with his friends.  The mission of kingdom of God has been one of love; it will be met with hatred and even violence.  We don't like to think about it, or talk about it much in the United States--but still today Christians are being killed for their faith.  In the Sudan, Christians are buried up to their head and then stoned to death.  In Egypt Christians are burned and their homes and churches are set on fire.  Here is the challenge; how do we face such persecution with love?   Herein lies a great trap of evil, if a righteous anger can burn in us to the point of hate in which we become the brutalizers of God's children, then we no longer abide in Christ.  Who would have thought that LOVE would be so ill received?
 
Questions:  I'm thinking of the old preachers admonition:  If they were arresting people for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict you?

No comments:

Post a Comment