Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wednesday November 2, John 14.23-26

John 14.23-26  23Jesus answered him, “Those who love me will keep my word, and my Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; and the word that you hear is not mine, but is from the Father who sent me.


25”I have said these things to you while I am still with you. 26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.

Thoughts:  Way back when we began reading John's Gospel, Andrew asked Jesus, "Where are you staying?"  And we talked about the word really is, where are you "abiding."   To what are you connected?  What is your home base so to speak.  When asked this question Jesus said, "Come and see."  Now we have a startling announcement.  Apparently Jesus and the Father are prepared to "abide" in us!  To be truly present in our lives as we move forward in love.  One would be tempted to say then that our very lives take on a sacramental nature, that is, God is truly present in, with and under all that we do, when we move forward in the love of Christ.   This reminds me of what is called "realized eschatology."  That is, the kingdom of God is not something to happen in the by and by; but is happening right now, in human lives that are motivated by love.

Questions: How do you think the Holy Spirit works in your life to REMIND you of these things?  Can you shut out the Holy Spirit or refuse to listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment