Friday, March 6, 2015

Can I get a witness Day 15 Lent 2015

Day 15 Lent 2015

"... and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”  Acts 1.8b

I wonder today how it is that I can be a witness for Christ?  I have to admit, part of me cringes when I hear this word 'witness' because I think of Christians standing on street corners and yelling out threats of doom and damnation.   That's just not for me.  

But luckily we can witness to Christ in many ways and I am convinced that each and everyone of us is indeed called to do just this--be a witness.  But what about us timid folks who just don't feel really comfortable with this?  Here are some ways that you can be a witness that even the most timid can embrace!    1) Actually reference 'church' or 'worship' or 'Jesus' in your casual conversations. Now I don't mean get in someones face and preach at them, what I mean is let folks know that you are a person of faith and that you actually make time for this. Think of how easy this would be:  "At church yesterday I saw the cutest purse!"  "After worship we found the best place to just sit and relax." "My pastor yesterday told the goofiest joke!" "Jesus tells us to love our neighbors, but I don't think he ever had to drive on the 91!"  2) Make sure you tweet, facebook, instagram (whatever social media you use) whenever you can about being at church or coming to worship.  How about this on Tweeter:  "Sitting in church and reminded about the power of love!"  Or what about an Instagram that shows the patio after worship and says:  "Donuts at church...whatever happened to lead us not into temptation!"

I know these are silly, but my point is that being a witness to Jesus is something we all can do.  How will you be a witness today?

A prayer: "Dear God, help us to be lamps in the midst of darkness and help us to have the courage to be bearers of your light!  Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment