Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Cheers to Patrick! Day 24 Lent 2015

Day 24 Lent 2015

 “But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,  bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you."  Luke 6.27-28


On this feast day of St. Patrick I can't help but be drawn to these words from Jesus from the Gospel of Luke.  (Similar are found in Matthew as well).   Here in America St. Patrick's Day will be used as an excuse to get drunk, to turn things green, to pinch the unlucky wearer of anything but green, and to foster the belief in the wee people who create mischief and disorder.


Why have we forgotten about Patrick?  Maybe because he actually lived out the words of Jesus above and by doing so he showed that these words were not just an unattainable goal--but could become a reality.   When we get beyond the fairy tales (no he didn't drive snakes out of Ireland) we find a person of faith who followed the word of God even when it meant returning to where he had been enslaved.   Patrick was 16 when taken by Irish pirates from his home in Britain.  After some 6 years as a captive he walked over 200 miles to find a boat that would take him back to his homeland.  Upon his return he took up the study for the priesthood and then some 15 years later, he followed a vision that he should go back to Ireland and witness to the Gospel.  


So if you find yourself in a pub tonight, hush the crowd and propose a toast to Patrick, a saint of God who dared to live out the words of Jesus by loving his enemies and praying for those who had done him wrong!  To Patrick!  Cheers!


A prayer for today:    Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left.   May I do all that I do this day remembering you O Lord.  Amen.   

No comments:

Post a Comment