Thursday, March 19, 2015

Opps, Did I really say that....Day 26 Lent 2015

Day 26 Lent 2015

"You must understand this, my beloved:  let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger;  for your anger does not produce God’s righteousness."  James 1.19-20

Think twice before speaking once!  Don't put your foot in you mouth!  That's why you have two ears and only one mouth!  All these sayings speak to a similar truth that James is trying to get across to his community: words are powerful and can destroy in a moment what has taken a lifetime to build.   When I talk about the power of words with our young people I invite them to realize that with only a few choice words I could destroy our relationship.  They would never think of me the same again, nor would they have much respect for me and how I live my life.  This is true, even if they have known me for years, a few choice words can destroy everything.

I guess as Christians we shouldn't be so surprised at the power of words.  After all we confess that God created all things through the power of the Word and that Jesus himself is this Word of God, incarnate.  So why is it that we forget the power of words...the power to lift up and the power to lay waste?

Why not intentionally use this day for the positive power of words spoken in love.  Find something nice to say about everyone you encounter--and share that word as often as is appropriate.  Think of it as an extra credit Lenten discipline!

A prayer for today: "Dear Lord, slow down our need for anger and our desire to be defensive around others.  Instead help us to us our words to lift up and strengthen the relationships that surround us. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment